Do I Need a Music Degree to Audition for the Choir?
The short answer is no, but there’s much more to it than that. While many of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir members and staff are trained musicians and hold advanced music degrees, it’s not a prerequisite.
Members of the Choir come from all walks of life, including homemakers, music teachers, computer technicians, therapists, professors, doctors, retirees, and the list goes on. In the audition process there is a musical skills test. There is a lot of music to be learned in the Choir, so it is important to be able to pick it up fast; however, the Choir leadership decides who joins the Choir based on many factors, with music theory being just one of them. If you have a good voice, by all means audition. Visit our audition page and start the process.
While a music degree is definitely not a requirement, audition candidates must meet these requirements:
Applications for the next audition period will be available July 1, 2017.
1. Is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in good standing and able to qualify for a temple recommend.
2. Is between 25 and 55 years of age on or before April 30, 2018, when Choir service would begin. The mandatory Choir retirement age is 60 or after 20 years of service.
3. Is currently residing within a 100-mile radius of Temple Square. With renewed emphasis on existing policy, applications will not be accepted from anyone not currently residing within the required radius, regardless of current or future plans to move to the area. We strongly discourage applicants moving to the area for the purpose of auditioning for the Choir.
4. Is in good health to permit consistent participation in long rehearsals, demanding travel, and other performance-related requirements. Please be realistic about any chronic health conditions currently experienced.
5. Is able to commit to maintaining the required levels of attendance while still being able to take care of all family and work responsibilities. Choir membership will mean 10 to 20 hours of participation per week depending on the projects and schedules. Please consider carefully current as well as future family and employment needs.