Enjoy Inspiring Music This Easter Season
Music is an integral part of Easter celebrations that focus on the life and Atonement of Jesus Christ. Past LDS Church President Ezra Taft Benson spoke of the power of music in this way: “Inspiring music may fill the soul with heavenly thoughts, move one to righteous action, or speak peace to the soul.”
Here are five ways the music of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Orchestra at Temple Square can help you experience the inspiration and peace that comes from the music of Easter:
- He Is Risen Music Video and CD: Watch the stunning music video of Mack Wilberg’s arrangement of “He Is Risen!” with beautiful footage of the Holy Land on the Choir’s website or YouTube Channel. You can also purchase the full He Is Risen! CD, which reached the No. 1 spot on two Billboard charts when it was released in 2014. This selection of music is centered on the miraculous events recounted and commemorated in the Easter story.
- Music and the Spoken Word Easter Special: Each year the Choir and Orchestra present a special Music & the Spoken Word broadcast at Easter that is posted on the Choir website the following year. Watch the 2016 Easter special, which features music from Handel’s Messiah. (Other Music & the Spoken Word specials for other holidays are also available.)
- Messiah Recordings by the Choir and Orchestra: New recordings of Handel’s beloved oratorio were released by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Orchestra at Temple Square to critical acclaim in March 2016. Handel originally premiered his masterwork at Easter, even though it is now more often associated with Christmas. This Mack Wilberg edition relies on historical research into Baroque musical tradition and practice to create a new landmark Messiah available in two versions, the Complete Oratorio and Highlights. (Mark your calendars now for the next live Messiah concert performance and worldwide stream by the Choir and Orchestra in March 2018!)
- The Redeemer on DVD and Online: Composed by Robert Cundick, former Tabernacle Choir organist for 27 years, The Redeemer was performed by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Orchestra at Temple Square in 2008 on the 30th anniversary of the work’s premiere. An oratorio-like work in three parts—the Prophecy, the Sacrifice, and the Promise—it is considered to be Robert Cundick’s most significant work. The Redeemer is available on DVD, and the full 2008 concert will be posted on the Choir’s YouTube channel in time for Easter.
- Additional Easter Resources: The Choir’s Sacred Music Library, 24/7 Music Stream, and the Easter Music playlist on the Choir’s YouTube channel are all great sources for additional Easter music.