The Salt Lake Tabernacle And Other Historic Civil Engineering Landmarks
The American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) is an organization made up of civil engineers from across the Unites States. Founded in 1852, it was created to advance the profession as well as promote the history and accomplishments of civil engineering. The organization holds conferences and publishes journals, books, and magazines that cover the trends and milestones of those in civil engineering.
In 1964 the ASCE began designating Historic Civil Engineering Landmarks. There are more than 250 such landmarks, which include bridges, roads, railways, dams, tunnels, power plants, buildings, and more. You may recognize some of these famous Civil Engineering Landmarks.
The oldest subway tunnel in North America is still in existence. It’s now part of Boston’s Green Line, connecting the Boylston Street Station.
Built in 1883, this is one of the oldest suspension bridges in the United States and the first steel-wire suspension bridge. It’s over a mile long and 85 feet wide.
Not only is this monument the world’s tallest obelisk, it’s the world’s tallest stone structure. When it was completed it was the world’s tallest building, a record it held until the completion of the Eiffel Tower.
Congress approved the Hoover Dam project in 1928, and construction began in 1931. The project was completed two years ahead of schedule in 1936. The dam is made of 3,250,000 cubic yards of concrete, among other materials.
Salt Lake Tabernacle
After four years of construction, the Tabernacle was completed in 1867. Brigham Young suggested the Tabernacle’s unusual design after contemplating a hollowed-out eggshell cracked lengthwise. Brigham Young wanted the Tabernacle roof to be self-supporting, without pillars or posts to obstruct audience views. The Tabernacle’s design also accounts for its extraordinary acoustics—another reason the GRAMMY Award®-winning Mormon Tabernacle Choir calls the Tabernacle home. The Tabernacle is so acoustically sensitive that a pin dropped at the pulpit can be clearly heard at the back of the hall—170 feet away.