*Currently, there are no auditions open for the Orchestra.*
Introduction, Membership Requirements, and Application Process
Instrumental musicians possess a unique set of musical abilities not held by the general membership of the Church. They have invested thousands of hours of practice time, purchased professional instruments, paid for countless private lessons with qualified teachers, and performed in myriad solo, ensemble, and orchestral settings. The majority of members of The Orchestra at Temple Square are professional musicians who make all or part of their living through professional performance and teaching. It takes years of dedication and single-minded focus to achieve the musical fluency and expertise that are required for acceptance in the Orchestra. Artistry in musical excellence is determined by personal audition with section leaders, Orchestra leaders, or music directors.
Members of The Orchestra at Temple Square:
· Are between 25 and 80 years of age.
· Hold a current temple recommend and are recommended by their home ward bishop.
· Commit to serve a minimum of five years.
· Comport themselves in a manner consistent with service as a set-apart missionary.
· Agree that membership in the Orchestra is an Orchestra member’s primary Church calling.
· Strive earnestly to attend or be available to attend at least fifty percent (50%) of Orchestra events.
· Agree that members who fall below thirty percent (30%) of either attendance or availability, as applicable, will be released from their calling in the Orchestra.
· Reside within 100 miles of Temple Square at the time of application and during Orchestra membership.
· Are in good physical and emotional health.
Application and Audition Process
When openings in the Orchestra become available, an announcement is placed on the Orchestra’s website. Applicants are strongly discouraged from moving to the area for the sole purpose of auditioning for the Orchestra. At the sole discretion of the Music Director(s) those musicians who have demonstrated a significant high-level of performance or significant professional experience may be invited to join the orchestra without an audition. If so invited, the musician must complete steps 1, 2 and 5.
Application and Audition Process
The application and audition process has five steps:
1. Application – An applicant completes and submits the full application form online, including a current photo and a one-page resume of current music performance experience.
2. Bishop’s Recommendation – An applicant asks his or her home ward bishop to complete and submit a confidential online recommendation, using the Orchestra’s recommendation form.
3. Pre-Audition Recording – Once the application and the bishop’s recommendation have been received, a preliminary evaluation of the application occurs. If the evaluation is approved for further consideration, the applicant is asked to submit a pre-audition recording of a specified musical number.
4. Live Audition – If the pre-audition recording is approved, an appointment for further consideration of the application will be arranged in which the applicant will perform a live audition.
5. Interview and Potential Call – If the live audition is approved by Orchestra leadership for further consideration, the applicant is asked to meet with a member of the presidency of The Tabernacle Choir Temple Square for interview and potential call.
New members of the Orchestra are set apart as missionaries by the Choir presidency at a convenient time following the issuance of a call to serve.