During Temple Square Renovations—Tabernacle Open
Renovation of the Salt Lake Temple has begun and the Conference Center is now the main visitor center for Temple Square. However, during this renovation activity on Temple Square, the Salt Lake Tabernacle—home of The Tabernacle Choir and Orchestra at Temple Square, Bells on Temple Square, and venue for the daily organ recitals—will be open!
In April 2019, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints president, Russell M. Nelson, announced plans to close the pioneer-era Salt Lake Temple for major structural and seismic renovations at the end of 2019 for four years along with renovations on part of the surrounding buildings and grounds on Temple Square and the plaza near the Church Office Building. The renovations are expected to take four years. Plans to reopen the temple in 2024 include an open house for the public.
During the Renovations on Temple Square
- Daily Organ recitals: The historic daily organ recitals performed on the world-famous Tabernacle organ will continue. Admission is free. Details here.
- Choir and Orchestra Rehearsals: Beginning February 6, the Thursday night weekly Choir and Orchestra rehearsals move back to the Tabernacle from the Conference Center where they have been performing. The rehearsals are open to the public. Admission is free. Details and exceptions listed here.
- Music & the Spoken Word Live Broadcast: For the next month the weekly broadcast will continue in the Conference Center. Beginning February 9, the live broadcast of Music & the Spoken Word—now celebrating over 90 years of broadcasting—will move back to the Tabernacle. The broadcast is open to the public. Admission is free. Details and exceptions here.
- Bells on Temple Square Rehearsals: The Bells on Temple Square rehearse weekly on Wednesday evenings in the Tabernacle. The rehearsals are open to the public. Admission is free. Details and exceptions here.
Visitor Access to the Tabernacle, Assembly Hall, and North Visitors’ Center
- Primary access will be available through the West gate with limited access through the South gate on Temple Square.
- Note: Both the North and East gates on Temple Square are now closed to the public.
The Conference Center is now the primary guest venue with a new orientation film shown in the Conference Center Theater every 20 minutes, a new Christus statue, and the cutaway exhibit of the Salt Lake Temple. Admission is free at the Conference Center, and complimentary tours will be available in over 40 languages.
Please check here to learn more and find current news updates about the renovations: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/templesquare