The Choir: Continuing its Musical Activity!
“Happiness is a state of activity,” remarked the ancient Greek philosopher Aristotle. For members of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir organization, Aristotle’s statement might well read, “Happiness is a state of musical activity.”
The Choir is unique among music ensembles in that it has a public music performance each week: Music & the Spoken Word. In addition, the extended Choir organization—Mormon Tabernacle Choir, Orchestra at Temple Square, Bells on Temple Square, and the Temple Square Chorale—have additional musical performances throughout the year.
For example, July was a very active month. The Choir and Orchestra presented five Music & the Spoken Word broadcasts and two Pioneer Day concerts; the Choir also sang at the dedication of the Primary Children’s and Families’ Research Center at the Huntsman Cancer Institute and provided music for the dedication of the Days of ’47 Rodeo Arena. The Bells on Temple Square was honored to perform at the closing event of the Handbell Musicians of America’s national seminar in California.
Here is a look at the calendar for the remainder of 2017. Choir Notes subscribers will be first to receive news about ticketed events. Check out the Choir’s website calendar pages for specific events or dates.
- The Choir and Orchestra will record music for a CD to be released in 2018. During the week of September 12–16, 2017, the Tabernacle will become the recording studio. Please note that there will be no public rehearsal on Thursday, September 14.
- The Choir will perform for the general conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which can be seen on www.lds.org or www.byutv.org.
- On October 6 the Choir and Orchestra will release their newest Christmas CD and DVD, both titled O Come, Little Children, as well as a book, The Little Match Girl, all from the 2016 Christmas concert with internationally acclaimed tenor Rolando Villazón.
- The 2017 Christmas concert guest artists will be announced on KSL Radio’s The Doug Wright Show.
- The Orchestra at Temple Square will present its annual fall concert on Friday, October 27 and Saturday, October 28.
- The annual Bells on Temple Square Holiday concert, an audience favorite, will be presented on November 17 and 18.
- On Thanksgiving Day, Thursday, November 23, there will be no public Choir Rehearsal.
- The Choir will perform for the First Presidency Christmas Devotional on Sunday, December 3 in the Conference Center on Temple Square.
- PBS and BYU Broadcasting will air Christmas with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir featuring Rolando Villazón. Check local listings for times and dates.
- The Choir, Orchestra, and Bells will present the annual Christmas concert on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, December 14–16 in the Conference Center on Temple Square.
- Because of the holidays, the Choir's public rehearsal will not be held on Thursday, December 28.